THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK - 1600 WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2. Act I, Scene 2

HAMLET by William Shakespeare - FULL AudioBook | Greatest Audio Books https://youtu.be/6_Y-tYrGBDc

◈ The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (햄릿) ◈

2. Act I, Scene 2

0         Elsinore. A room of state in the Castle.

1         Flourish. [Enter Claudius, King of Denmark, Gertrude the Queen, Hamlet, Polonius, Laertes and his sister Ophelia, [Voltemand, Cornelius,] Lords Attendant.

2         Claudius.
3               Though yet of Hamlet our dear brother's death
4               The memory be green, and that it us befitted
5               To bear our hearts in grief, and our whole kingdom
6               To be contracted in one brow of woe,
7               Yet so far hath discretion fought with nature
8               That we with wisest sorrow think on him
9               Together with remembrance of ourselves.
10               Therefore our sometime sister, now our queen,
11               Th' imperial jointress to this warlike state,
12               Have we, as 'twere with a defeated joy,
13               With an auspicious, and a dropping eye,
14               With mirth in funeral, and with dirge in marriage,
15               In equal scale weighing delight and dole,
16               Taken to wife; nor have we herein barr'd
17               Your better wisdoms, which have freely gone
18               With this affair along. For all, our thanks.
19               Now follows, that you know, young Fortinbras,
20               Holding a weak supposal of our worth,
21               Or thinking by our late dear brother's death
22               Our state to be disjoint and out of frame,
23               Colleagued with this dream of his advantage,
24               He hath not fail'd to pester us with message
25               Importing the surrender of those lands
26               Lost by his father, with all bands of law,
27               To our most valiant brother. So much for him.
28               Now for ourself and for this time of meeting.
29               Thus much the business is: we have here writ
30               To Norway, uncle of young Fortinbras,
31               Who, impotent and bedrid, scarcely hears
32               Of this his nephew's purpose, to suppress
33               His further gait herein, in that the levies,
34               The lists, and full proportions are all made
35               Out of his subject; and we here dispatch
36               You, good Cornelius, and you, Voltemand,
37               For bearers of this greeting to old Norway,
38               Giving to you no further personal power
39               To business with the King, more than the scope
40               Of these dilated articles allow.[Gives a paper.]
41               Farewell, and let your haste commend your duty.
42         Cornelius.
43               [with Voltemand]In that, and all things, will we show our duty.
44         Claudius.
45               We doubt it nothing. Heartily farewell.
46               [Exeunt Voltemand and Cornelius.]
47               And now, Laertes, what's the news with you?
48               You told us of some suit. What is't, Laertes?
49               You cannot speak of reason to the Dane
50               And lose your voice. What wouldst thou beg, Laertes,
51               That shall not be my offer, not thy asking?
52               The head is not more native to the heart,
53               The hand more instrumental to the mouth,
54               Than is the throne of Denmark to thy father.
55               What wouldst thou have, Laertes?
56         Laertes.
57               My dread lord,
58               Your leave and favour to return to France;
59               From whence though willingly I came to Denmark
60               To show my duty in your coronation,
61               Yet now I must confess, that duty done,
62               My thoughts and wishes bend again toward France
63               And bow them to your gracious leave and pardon.
64         Claudius.
65               Have you your father's leave? What says Polonius?
66         Polonius.
67               He hath, my lord, wrung from me my slow leave
68               By laboursome petition, and at last
69               Upon his will I seal'd my hard consent.
70               I do beseech you give him leave to go.
71         Claudius.
72               Take thy fair hour, Laertes. Time be thine,
73               And thy best graces spend it at thy will!
74               But now, my cousin Hamlet, and my son-
75         Hamlet.
76               [aside]A little more than kin, and less than kind!
77         Claudius.
78               How is it that the clouds still hang on you?
79         Hamlet.
80               Not so, my lord. I am too much i' th' sun.
81         Gertrude.
82               Good Hamlet, cast thy nighted colour off,
83               And let thine eye look like a friend on Denmark.
84               Do not for ever with thy vailed lids
85               Seek for thy noble father in the dust.
86               Thou know'st 'tis common. All that lives must die,
87               Passing through nature to eternity.
88         Hamlet.
89               Ay, madam, it is common.
90         Gertrude.
91               If it be,
92               Why seems it so particular with thee?
93         Hamlet.
94               Seems, madam, Nay, it is. I know not 'seems.'
95               'Tis not alone my inky cloak, good mother,
96               Nor customary suits of solemn black,
97               Nor windy suspiration of forc'd breath,
98               No, nor the fruitful river in the eye,
99               Nor the dejected havior of the visage,
100               Together with all forms, moods, shapes of grief,
101               'That can denote me truly. These indeed seem,
102               For they are actions that a man might play;
103               But I have that within which passeth show-
104               These but the trappings and the suits of woe.
105         Claudius.
106               'Tis sweet and commendable in your nature, Hamlet,
107               To give these mourning duties to your father;
108               But you must know, your father lost a father;
109               That father lost, lost his, and the survivor bound
110               In filial obligation for some term
111               To do obsequious sorrow. But to persever
112               In obstinate condolement is a course
113               Of impious stubbornness. 'Tis unmanly grief;
114               It shows a will most incorrect to heaven,
115               A heart unfortified, a mind impatient,
116               An understanding simple and unschool'd;
117               For what we know must be, and is as common
118               As any the most vulgar thing to sense,
119               Why should we in our peevish opposition
120               Take it to heart? Fie! 'tis a fault to heaven,
121               A fault against the dead, a fault to nature,
122               To reason most absurd, whose common theme
123               Is death of fathers, and who still hath cried,
124               From the first corse till he that died to-day,
125               'This must be so.' We pray you throw to earth
126               This unprevailing woe, and think of us
127               As of a father; for let the world take note
128               You are the most immediate to our throne,
129               And with no less nobility of love
130               Than that which dearest father bears his son
131               Do I impart toward you. For your intent
132               In going back to school in Wittenberg,
133               It is most retrograde to our desire;
134               And we beseech you, bend you to remain
135               Here in the cheer and comfort of our eye,
136               Our chiefest courtier, cousin, and our son.
137         Gertrude.
138               Let not thy mother lose her prayers, Hamlet.
139               I pray thee stay with us, go not to Wittenberg.
140         Hamlet.
141               I shall in all my best obey you, madam.
142         Claudius.
143               Why, 'tis a loving and a fair reply.
144               Be as ourself in Denmark. Madam, come.
145               This gentle and unforc'd accord of Hamlet
146               Sits smiling to my heart; in grace whereof,
147               No jocund health that Denmark drinks to-day
148               But the great cannon to the clouds shall tell,
149               And the King's rouse the heaven shall bruit again,
150               Respeaking earthly thunder. Come away.

151         Flourish. Exeunt all but Hamlet.

152         Hamlet.
153               O that this too too solid flesh would melt,
154               Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew!
155               Or that the Everlasting had not fix'd
156               His canon 'gainst self-slaughter! O God! God!
157               How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable
158               Seem to me all the uses of this world!
159               Fie on't! ah, fie! 'Tis an unweeded garden
160               That grows to seed; things rank and gross in nature
161               Possess it merely. That it should come to this!
162               But two months dead! Nay, not so much, not two.
163               So excellent a king, that was to this
164               Hyperion to a satyr; so loving to my mother
165               That he might not beteem the winds of heaven
166               Visit her face too roughly. Heaven and earth!
167               Must I remember? Why, she would hang on him
168               As if increase of appetite had grown
169               By what it fed on; and yet, within a month-
170               Let me not think on't! Frailty, thy name is woman!-
171               A little month, or ere those shoes were old
172               With which she followed my poor father's body
173               Like Niobe, all tears- why she, even she
174               (O God! a beast that wants discourse of reason
175               Would have mourn'd longer)married with my uncle;
176               My father's brother, but no more like my father
177               Than I to Hercules. Within a month,
178               Ere yet the salt of most unrighteous tears
179               Had left the flushing in her galled eyes,
180               She married. O, most wicked speed, to post
181               With such dexterity to incestuous sheets!
182               It is not, nor it cannot come to good.
183               But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue!

184         Enter Horatio, Marcellus, and Bernardo.

185         Horatio.
186               Hail to your lordship!
187         Hamlet.
188               I am glad to see you well.
189               Horatio!- or I do forget myself.
190         Horatio.
191               The same, my lord, and your poor servant ever.
192         Hamlet.
193               Sir, my good friend- I'll change that name with you.
194               And what make you from Wittenberg, Horatio?
195               Marcellus?
196         Marcellus.
197               My good lord!
198         Hamlet.
199               I am very glad to see you.-[To Bernardo]Good even, sir.-
200               But what, in faith, make you from Wittenberg?
201         Horatio.
202               A truant disposition, good my lord.
203         Hamlet.
204               I would not hear your enemy say so,
205               Nor shall you do my ear that violence
206               To make it truster of your own report
207               Against yourself. I know you are no truant.
208               But what is your affair in Elsinore?
209               We'll teach you to drink deep ere you depart.
210         Horatio.
211               My lord, I came to see your father's funeral.
212         Hamlet.
213               I prithee do not mock me, fellow student.
214               I think it was to see my mother's wedding.
215         Horatio.
216               Indeed, my lord, it followed hard upon.
217         Hamlet.
218               Thrift, thrift, Horatio! The funeral bak'd meats
219               Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables.
220               Would I had met my dearest foe in heaven
221               Or ever I had seen that day, Horatio!
222               My father- methinks I see my father.
223         Horatio.
224               O, where, my lord?
225         Hamlet.
226               In my mind's eye, Horatio.
227         Horatio.
228               I saw him once. He was a goodly king.
229         Hamlet.
230               He was a man, take him for all in all.
231               I shall not look upon his like again.
232         Horatio.
233               My lord, I think I saw him yesternight.
234         Hamlet.
235               Saw? who?
236         Horatio.
237               My lord, the King your father.
238         Hamlet.
239               The King my father?
240         Horatio.
241               Season your admiration for a while
242               With an attent ear, till I may deliver
243               Upon the witness of these gentlemen,
244               This marvel to you.
245         Hamlet.
246               For God's love let me hear!
247         Horatio.
248               Two nights together had these gentlemen
249               (Marcellus and Bernardo)on their watch
250               In the dead vast and middle of the night
251               Been thus encount'red. A figure like your father,
252               Armed at point exactly, cap-a-pe,
253               Appears before them and with solemn march
254               Goes slow and stately by them. Thrice he walk'd
255               By their oppress'd and fear-surprised eyes,
256               Within his truncheon's length; whilst they distill'd
257               Almost to jelly with the act of fear,
258               Stand dumb and speak not to him. This to me
259               In dreadful secrecy impart they did,
260               And I with them the third night kept the watch;
261               Where, as they had deliver'd, both in time,
262               Form of the thing, each word made true and good,
263               The apparition comes. I knew your father.
264               These hands are not more like.
265         Hamlet.
266               But where was this?
267         Marcellus.
268               My lord, upon the platform where we watch'd.
269         Hamlet.
270               Did you not speak to it?
271         Horatio.
272               My lord, I did;
273               But answer made it none. Yet once methought
274               It lifted up it head and did address
275               Itself to motion, like as it would speak;
276               But even then the morning cock crew loud,
277               And at the sound it shrunk in haste away
278               And vanish'd from our sight.
279         Hamlet.
280               'Tis very strange.
281         Horatio.
282               As I do live, my honour'd lord, 'tis true;
283               And we did think it writ down in our duty
284               To let you know of it.
285         Hamlet.
286               Indeed, indeed, sirs. But this troubles me.
287               Hold you the watch to-night?
288         Marcellus.
289               [with Bernardo]We do, my lord.
290         Hamlet.
291               Arm'd, say you?
292         Marcellus.
293               [with Bernardo]Arm'd, my lord.
294         Hamlet.
295               From top to toe?
296         Marcellus.
297               [with Bernardo]My lord, from head to foot.
298         Hamlet.
299               Then saw you not his face?
300         Horatio.
301               O, yes, my lord! He wore his beaver up.
302         Hamlet.
303               What, look'd he frowningly.
304         Horatio.
305               A countenance more in sorrow than in anger.
306         Hamlet.
307               Pale or red?
308         Horatio.
309               Nay, very pale.
310         Hamlet.
311               And fix'd his eyes upon you?
312         Horatio.
313               Most constantly.
314         Hamlet.
315               I would I had been there.
316         Horatio.
317               It would have much amaz'd you.
318         Hamlet.
319               Very like, very like. Stay'd it long?
320         Horatio.
321               While one with moderate haste might tell a hundred.
322         Marcellus.
323               [with Bernardo]Longer, longer.
324         Horatio.
325               Not when I saw't.
326         Hamlet.
327               His beard was grizzled- no?
328         Horatio.
329               It was, as I have seen it in his life,
330               A sable silver'd.
331         Hamlet.
332               I will watch to-night.
333               Perchance 'twill walk again.
334         Horatio.
335               I warr'nt it will.
336         Hamlet.
337               If it assume my noble father's person,
338               I'll speak to it, though hell itself should gape
339               And bid me hold my peace. I pray you all,
340               If you have hitherto conceal'd this sight,
341               Let it be tenable in your silence still;
342               And whatsoever else shall hap to-night,
343               Give it an understanding but no tongue.
344               I will requite your loves. So, fare you well.
345               Upon the platform, 'twixt eleven and twelve,
346               I'll visit you.
347         All.
348               Our duty to your honour.
349         Hamlet.
350               Your loves, as mine to you. Farewell.
351               [Exeunt [all but Hamlet].]
352               My father's spirit- in arms? All is not well.
353               I doubt some foul play. Would the night were come!
354               Till then sit still, my soul. Foul deeds will rise,
355               Though all the earth o'erwhelm them, to men's eyes.

356         Exit.

출처出處source ■ http://davincimap.co.kr/davBase/Source/davSource.jsp?Job=Body&SourID=SOUR001584&Lang=%EC%98%81%EB%AC%B8&Page=1&View=Text#2.%20Act%20I,%20Scene%202

https://youtu.be/xK8ZeIcmQvQ

https://youtu.be/8DcT-Rkkxcc

https://youtu.be/Q-ELSO82Ees

https://youtu.be/aTtJl3NkwWM



댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

List of Korean surnames

THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK - 1600 WILLIAM SHAKESPEAR 2. Act V, Scene 2

Why do Animals Need Salt in Their Diet?