THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK - 1600 WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2. ACT II, SCENE 2

HAMLET by William Shakespeare - FULL AudioBook | Greatest Audio Books https://youtu.be/6_Y-tYrGBDc

◈ The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (햄릿) ◈

2. Act II, Scene 2

0         Elsinore. A room in the Castle.
 
1         Flourish. [Enter King and Queen, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, cum aliis.
 
2         Claudius.
3               Welcome, dear Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
4               Moreover that we much did long to see you,
5               The need we have to use you did provoke
6               Our hasty sending. Something have you heard
7               Of Hamlet's transformation. So I call it,
8               Sith nor th' exterior nor the inward man
9               Resembles that it was. What it should be,
10               More than his father's death, that thus hath put him
11               So much from th' understanding of himself,
12               I cannot dream of. I entreat you both
13               That, being of so young days brought up with him,
14               And since so neighbour'd to his youth and haviour,
15               That you vouchsafe your rest here in our court
16               Some little time; so by your companies
17               To draw him on to pleasures, and to gather
18               So much as from occasion you may glean,
19               Whether aught to us unknown afflicts him thus
20               That, open'd, lies within our remedy.
21         Gertrude.
22               Good gentlemen, he hath much talk'd of you,
23               And sure I am two men there are not living
24               To whom he more adheres. If it will please you
25               To show us so much gentry and good will
26               As to expend your time with us awhile
27               For the supply and profit of our hope,
28               Your visitation shall receive such thanks
29               As fits a king's remembrance.
30         Rosencrantz.
31               Both your Majesties
32               Might, by the sovereign power you have of us,
33               Put your dread pleasures more into command
34               Than to entreaty.
35         Guildenstern.
36               But we both obey,
37               And here give up ourselves, in the full bent,
38               To lay our service freely at your feet,
39               To be commanded.
40         Claudius.
41               Thanks, Rosencrantz and gentle Guildenstern.
42         Gertrude.
43               Thanks, Guildenstern and gentle Rosencrantz.
44               And I beseech you instantly to visit
45               My too much changed son.- Go, some of you,
46               And bring these gentlemen where Hamlet is.
47         Guildenstern.
48               Heavens make our presence and our practices
49               Pleasant and helpful to him!
50         Gertrude.
51               Ay, amen!
 
52         Exeunt Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, [with some Attendants].
 
53         Enter Polonius.
 
54         Polonius.
55               Th' ambassadors from Norway, my good lord,
56               Are joyfully return'd.
57         Claudius.
58               Thou still hast been the father of good news.
59         Polonius.
60               Have I, my lord? Assure you, my good liege,
61               I hold my duty as I hold my soul,
62               Both to my God and to my gracious king;
63               And I do think- or else this brain of mine
64               Hunts not the trail of policy so sure
65               As it hath us'd to do- that I have found
66               The very cause of Hamlet's lunacy.
67         Claudius.
68               O, speak of that! That do I long to hear.
69         Polonius.
70               Give first admittance to th' ambassadors.
71               My news shall be the fruit to that great feast.
72         Claudius.
73               Thyself do grace to them, and bring them in.
74               [Exit Polonius.]
75               He tells me, my dear Gertrude, he hath found
76               The head and source of all your son's distemper.
77         Gertrude.
78               I doubt it is no other but the main,
79               His father's death and our o'erhasty marriage.
80         Claudius.
81               Well, we shall sift him.
82               [Enter Polonius, Voltemand, and Cornelius.]
83               Welcome, my good friends.
84               Say, Voltemand, what from our brother Norway?
85         Voltemand.
86               Most fair return of greetings and desires.
87               Upon our first, he sent out to suppress
88               His nephew's levies; which to him appear'd
89               To be a preparation 'gainst the Polack,
90               But better look'd into, he truly found
91               It was against your Highness; whereat griev'd,
92               That so his sickness, age, and impotence
93               Was falsely borne in hand, sends out arrests
94               On Fortinbras; which he, in brief, obeys,
95               Receives rebuke from Norway, and, in fine,
96               Makes vow before his uncle never more
97               To give th' assay of arms against your Majesty.
98               Whereon old Norway, overcome with joy,
99               Gives him three thousand crowns in annual fee
100               And his commission to employ those soldiers,
101               So levied as before, against the Polack;
102               With an entreaty, herein further shown,
103               [Gives a paper.]
104               That it might please you to give quiet pass
105               Through your dominions for this enterprise,
106               On such regards of safety and allowance
107               As therein are set down.
108         Claudius.
109               It likes us well;
110               And at our more consider'd time we'll read,
111               Answer, and think upon this business.
112               Meantime we thank you for your well-took labour.
113               Go to your rest; at night we'll feast together.
114               Most welcome home![Exeunt Ambassadors.]
115         Polonius.
116               This business is well ended.
117               My liege, and madam, to expostulate
118               What majesty should be, what duty is,
119               Why day is day, night is night, and time is time.
120               Were nothing but to waste night, day, and time.
121               Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
122               And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
123               I will be brief. Your noble son is mad.
124               Mad call I it; for, to define true madness,
125               What is't but to be nothing else but mad?
126               But let that go.
127         Gertrude.
128               More matter, with less art.
129         Polonius.
130               Madam, I swear I use no art at all.
131               That he is mad, 'tis true: 'tis true 'tis pity;
132               And pity 'tis 'tis true. A foolish figure!
133               But farewell it, for I will use no art.
134               Mad let us grant him then. And now remains
135               That we find out the cause of this effect-
136               Or rather say, the cause of this defect,
137               For this effect defective comes by cause.
138               Thus it remains, and the remainder thus.
139               Perpend.
140               I have a daughter(have while she is mine),
141               Who in her duty and obedience, mark,
142               Hath given me this. Now gather, and surmise.
143               [Reads]the letter.]
144               'To the celestial, and my soul's idol, the most beautified Ophelia,'-
145               That's an ill phrase, a vile phrase; 'beautified' is a vile phrase.
146               But you shall hear. Thus:
147               [Reads.]
148               'In her excellent white bosom, these, &c.'
149         Gertrude.
150               Came this from Hamlet to her?
151         Polonius.
152               Good madam, stay awhile. I will be faithful.[Reads.]
153               'Doubt thou the stars are fire;
154               Doubt that the sun doth move;
155               Doubt truth to be a liar;
156               But never doubt I love.
157               'O dear Ophelia, I am ill at these numbers; I have not art to
158               reckon my groans; but that I love thee best, O most best, believe
159               it. Adieu.
160               'Thine evermore, most dear lady, whilst this machine is to
161               him, HAMLET.'
162               This, in obedience, hath my daughter shown me;
163               And more above, hath his solicitings,
164               As they fell out by time, by means, and place,
165               All given to mine ear.
166         Claudius.
167               But how hath she
168               Receiv'd his love?
169         Polonius.
170               What do you think of me?
171         Claudius.
172               As of a man faithful and honourable.
173         Polonius.
174               I would fain prove so. But what might you think,
175               When I had seen this hot love on the wing
176               (As I perceiv'd it, I must tell you that,
177               Before my daughter told me), what might you,
178               Or my dear Majesty your queen here, think,
179               If I had play'd the desk or table book,
180               Or given my heart a winking, mute and dumb,
181               Or look'd upon this love with idle sight?
182               What might you think? No, I went round to work
183               And my young mistress thus I did bespeak:
184               'Lord Hamlet is a prince, out of thy star.
185               This must not be.' And then I prescripts gave her,
186               That she should lock herself from his resort,
187               Admit no messengers, receive no tokens.
188               Which done, she took the fruits of my advice,
189               And he, repulsed, a short tale to make,
190               Fell into a sadness, then into a fast,
191               Thence to a watch, thence into a weakness,
192               Thence to a lightness, and, by this declension,
193               Into the madness wherein now he raves,
194               And all we mourn for.
195         Claudius.
196               Do you think 'tis this?
197         Gertrude.
198               it may be, very like.
199         Polonius.
200               Hath there been such a time- I would fain know that-
201               That I have Positively said 'Tis so,'
202               When it prov'd otherwise.?
203         Claudius.
204               Not that I know.
205         Polonius.
206               [points to his head and shoulder]Take this from this, if this be otherwise.
207               If circumstances lead me, I will find
208               Where truth is hid, though it were hid indeed
209               Within the centre.
210         Claudius.
211               How may we try it further?
212         Polonius.
213               You know sometimes he walks for hours together
214               Here in the lobby.
215         Gertrude.
216               So he does indeed.
217         Polonius.
218               At such a time I'll loose my daughter to him.
219               Be you and I behind an arras then.
220               Mark the encounter. If he love her not,
221               And he not from his reason fall'n thereon
222               Let me be no assistant for a state,
223               But keep a farm and carters.
224         Claudius.
225               We will try it.
 
226         Enter Hamlet, reading on a book.
 
227         Gertrude.
228               But look where sadly the poor wretch comes reading.
229         Polonius.
230               Away, I do beseech you, both away
231               I'll board him presently. O, give me leave.
232               [Exeunt King and Queen, [with Attendants].]
233               How does my good Lord Hamlet?
234         Hamlet.
235               Well, God-a-mercy.
236         Polonius.
237               Do you know me, my lord?
238         Hamlet.
239               Excellent well. You are a fishmonger.
240         Polonius.
241               Not I, my lord.
242         Hamlet.
243               Then I would you were so honest a man.
244         Polonius.
245               Honest, my lord?
246         Hamlet.
247               Ay, sir. To be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man
248               pick'd out of ten thousand.
249         Polonius.
250               That's very true, my lord.
251         Hamlet.
252               For if the sun breed maggots in a dead dog, being a god
253               kissing carrion- Have you a daughter?
254         Polonius.
255               I have, my lord.
256         Hamlet.
257               Let her not walk i' th' sun. Conception is a blessing, but not
258               as your daughter may conceive. Friend, look to't.
259         Polonius.
260               [aside]How say you by that? Still harping on my daughter. Yet
261               he knew me not at first. He said I was a fishmonger. He is far
262               gone, far gone! And truly in my youth I suff'red much extremity
263               for love- very near this. I'll speak to him again.- What do you
264               read, my lord?
265         Hamlet.
266               Words, words, words.
267         Polonius.
268               What is the matter, my lord?
269         Hamlet.
270               Between who?
271         Polonius.
272               I mean, the matter that you read, my lord.
273         Hamlet.
274               Slanders, sir; for the satirical rogue says here that old men
275               have grey beards; that their faces are wrinkled; their eyes
276               purging thick amber and plum-tree gum; and that they have a
277               plentiful lack of wit, together with most weak hams. All which,
278               sir, though I most powerfully and potently believe, yet I hold it
279               not honesty to have it thus set down; for you yourself, sir,
280               should be old as I am if, like a crab, you could go backward.
281         Polonius.
282               [aside]Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't.-
283               Will You walk out of the air, my lord?
284         Hamlet.
285               Into my grave?
286         Polonius.
287               Indeed, that is out o' th' air.[Aside]How pregnant sometimes
288               his replies are! a happiness that often madness hits on, which
289               reason and sanity could not so prosperously be delivered of. I
290               will leave him and suddenly contrive the means of meeting between
291               him and my daughter.- My honourable lord, I will most humbly take
292               my leave of you.
293         Hamlet.
294               You cannot, sir, take from me anything that I will more
295               willingly part withal- except my life, except my life, except my
296               life,
 
297         Enter Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
 
298         Polonius.
299               Fare you well, my lord.
300         Hamlet.
301               These tedious old fools!
302         Polonius.
303               You go to seek the Lord Hamlet. There he is.
304         Rosencrantz.
305               [to Polonius]God save you, sir!
 
306         Exit [Polonius].
 
307         Guildenstern.
308               My honour'd lord!
309         Rosencrantz.
310               My most dear lord!
311         Hamlet.
312               My excellent good friends! How dost thou, Guildenstern? Ah,
313               Rosencrantz! Good lads, how do ye both?
314         Rosencrantz.
315               As the indifferent children of the earth.
316         Guildenstern.
317               Happy in that we are not over-happy.
318               On Fortune's cap we are not the very button.
319         Hamlet.
320               Nor the soles of her shoe?
321         Rosencrantz.
322               Neither, my lord.
323         Hamlet.
324               Then you live about her waist, or in the middle of her
325               favours?
326         Guildenstern.
327               Faith, her privates we.
328         Hamlet.
329               In the secret parts of Fortune? O! most true! she is a
330               strumpet. What news ?
331         Rosencrantz.
332               None, my lord, but that the world's grown honest.
333         Hamlet.
334               Then is doomsday near! But your news is not true. Let me
335               question more in particular. What have you, my good friends,
336               deserved at the hands of Fortune that she sends you to prison
337               hither?
338         Guildenstern.
339               Prison, my lord?
340         Hamlet.
341               Denmark's a prison.
342         Rosencrantz.
343               Then is the world one.
344         Hamlet.
345               A goodly one; in which there are many confines, wards, and
346               dungeons, Denmark being one o' th' worst.
347         Rosencrantz.
348               We think not so, my lord.
349         Hamlet.
350               Why, then 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good
351               or bad but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison.
352         Rosencrantz.
353               Why, then your ambition makes it one. 'Tis too narrow for your
354               mind.
355         Hamlet.
356               O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a
357               king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.
358         Guildenstern.
359               Which dreams indeed are ambition; for the very substance of
360               the ambitious is merely the shadow of a dream.
361         Hamlet.
362               A dream itself is but a shadow.
363         Rosencrantz.
364               Truly, and I hold ambition of so airy and light a quality that
365               it is but a shadow's shadow.
366         Hamlet.
367               Then are our beggars bodies, and our monarchs and outstretch'd
368               heroes the beggars' shadows. Shall we to th' court? for, by my
369               fay, I cannot reason.
370         Rosencrantz.
371               [with Guildenstern]We'll wait upon you.
372         Hamlet.
373               No such matter! I will not sort you with the rest of my
374               servants; for, to speak to you like an honest man, I am most
375               dreadfully attended. But in the beaten way of friendship, what
376               make you at Elsinore?
377         Rosencrantz.
378               To visit you, my lord; no other occasion.
379         Hamlet.
380               Beggar that I am, I am even poor in thanks; but I thank you;
381               and sure, dear friends, my thanks are too dear a halfpenny. Were
382               you not sent for? Is it your own inclining? Is it a free
383               visitation? Come, deal justly with me. Come, come! Nay, speak.
384         Guildenstern.
385               What should we say, my lord?
386         Hamlet.
387               Why, anything- but to th' purpose. You were sent for; and
388               there is a kind of confession in your looks, which your modesties
389               have not craft enough to colour. I know the good King and Queen
390               have sent for you.
391         Rosencrantz.
392               To what end, my lord?
393         Hamlet.
394               That you must teach me. But let me conjure you by the rights
395               of our fellowship, by the consonancy of our youth, by the
396               obligation of our ever-preserved love, and by what more dear a
397               better proposer could charge you withal, be even and direct with
398               me, whether you were sent for or no.
399         Rosencrantz.
400               [aside to Guildenstern]What say you?
401         Hamlet.
402               [aside]Nay then, I have an eye of you.- If you love me, hold
403               not off.
404         Guildenstern.
405               My lord, we were sent for.
406         Hamlet.
407               I will tell you why. So shall my anticipation prevent your
408               discovery, and your secrecy to the King and Queen moult no
409               feather. I have of late- but wherefore I know not- lost all my
410               mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed, it goes so
411               heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth,
412               seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the
413               air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical
414               roof fretted with golden fire- why, it appeareth no other thing
415               to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a
416               piece of work is a man! how noble in reason! how infinite in
417               faculties! in form and moving how express and admirable! in
418               action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the
419               beauty of the world, the paragon of animals! And yet to me what
420               is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me- no, nor woman
421               neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so.
422         Rosencrantz.
423               My lord, there was no such stuff in my thoughts.
424         Hamlet.
425               Why did you laugh then, when I said 'Man delights not me'?
426         Rosencrantz.
427               To think, my lord, if you delight not in man, what lenten
428               entertainment the players shall receive from you. We coted them
429               on the way, and hither are they coming to offer you service.
430         Hamlet.
431               He that plays the king shall be welcome- his Majesty shall
432               have tribute of me; the adventurous knight shall use his foil and
433               target; the lover shall not sigh gratis; the humorous man shall
434               end his part in peace; the clown shall make those laugh whose
435               lungs are tickle o' th' sere; and the lady shall say her mind
436               freely, or the blank verse shall halt for't. What players are
437               they?
438         Rosencrantz.
439               Even those you were wont to take such delight in, the
440               tragedians of the city.
441         Hamlet.
442               How chances it they travel? Their residence, both in
443               reputation and profit, was better both ways.
444         Rosencrantz.
445               I think their inhibition comes by the means of the late
446               innovation.
447         Hamlet.
448               Do they hold the same estimation they did when I was in the
449               city? Are they so follow'd?
450         Rosencrantz.
451               No indeed are they not.
452         Hamlet.
453               How comes it? Do they grow rusty?
454         Rosencrantz.
455               Nay, their endeavour keeps in the wonted pace; but there is,
456               sir, an eyrie of children, little eyases, that cry out on the top
457               of question and are most tyrannically clapp'd for't. These are now
458               the fashion, and so berattle the common stages(so they call
459               them)that many wearing rapiers are afraid of goosequills and
460               dare scarce come thither.
461         Hamlet.
462               What, are they children? Who maintains 'em? How are they
463               escoted? Will they pursue the quality no longer than they can
464               sing? Will they not say afterwards, if they should grow
465               themselves to common players(as it is most like, if their means
466               are no better), their writers do them wrong to make them exclaim
467               against their own succession.
468         Rosencrantz.
469               Faith, there has been much to do on both sides; and the nation
470               holds it no sin to tarre them to controversy. There was, for a
471               while, no money bid for argument unless the poet and the player
472               went to cuffs in the question.
473         Hamlet.
474               Is't possible?
475         Guildenstern.
476               O, there has been much throwing about of brains.
477         Hamlet.
478               Do the boys carry it away?
479         Rosencrantz.
480               Ay, that they do, my lord- Hercules and his load too.
481         Hamlet.
482               It is not very strange; for my uncle is King of Denmark, and
483               those that would make mows at him while my father lived give
484               twenty, forty, fifty, a hundred ducats apiece for his picture in
485               little. 'Sblood, there is something in this more than natural, if
486               philosophy could find it out.
 
487         Flourish for the Players.
 
488         Guildenstern.
489               There are the players.
490         Hamlet.
491               Gentlemen, you are welcome to Elsinore. Your hands, come! Th'
492               appurtenance of welcome is fashion and ceremony. Let me comply
493               with you in this garb, lest my extent to the players(which I
494               tell you must show fairly outwards)should more appear like
495               entertainment than yours. You are welcome. But my uncle-father
496               and aunt-mother are deceiv'd.
497         Guildenstern.
498               In what, my dear lord?
499         Hamlet.
500               I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly I
501               know a hawk from a handsaw.
 
502         Enter Polonius.
 
503         Polonius.
504               Well be with you, gentlemen!
505         Hamlet.
506               Hark you, Guildenstern- and you too- at each ear a hearer!
507               That great baby you see there is not yet out of his swaddling
508               clouts.
509         Rosencrantz.
510               Happily he's the second time come to them; for they say an old
511               man is twice a child.
512         Hamlet.
513               I will prophesy he comes to tell me of the players. Mark it.-
514               You say right, sir; a Monday morning; twas so indeed.
515         Polonius.
516               My lord, I have news to tell you.
517         Hamlet.
518               My lord, I have news to tell you. When Roscius was an actor in Rome-
519         Polonius.
520               The actors are come hither, my lord.
521         Hamlet.
522               Buzz, buzz!
523         Polonius.
524               Upon my honour-
525         Hamlet.
526               Then came each actor on his ass-
527         Polonius.
528               The best actors in the world, either for tragedy, comedy,
529               history, pastoral, pastoral-comical, historical-pastoral,
530               tragical-historical, tragical-comical-historical-pastoral; scene
531               individable, or poem unlimited. Seneca cannot be too heavy, nor
532               Plautus too light. For the law of writ and the liberty, these are
533               the only men.
534         Hamlet.
535               O Jephthah, judge of Israel, what a treasure hadst thou!
536         Polonius.
537               What treasure had he, my lord?
538         Hamlet.
539               Why,
540               'One fair daughter, and no more,
541               The which he loved passing well.'
542         Polonius.
543               [aside]Still on my daughter.
544         Hamlet.
545               Am I not i' th' right, old Jephthah?
546         Polonius.
547               If you call me Jephthah, my lord, I have a daughter that I
548               love passing well.
549         Hamlet.
550               Nay, that follows not.
551         Polonius.
552               What follows then, my lord?
553         Hamlet.
554               Why,
555               'As by lot, God wot,'
556               and then, you know,
557               'It came to pass, as most like it was.'
558               The first row of the pious chanson will show you more; for look
559               where my abridgment comes.
560               [Enter four or five Players.]
561               You are welcome, masters; welcome, all.- I am glad to see thee
562               well.- Welcome, good friends.- O, my old friend? Why, thy face is
563               valanc'd since I saw thee last. Com'st' thou to' beard me in
564               Denmark?- What, my young lady and mistress? By'r Lady, your
565               ladyship is nearer to heaven than when I saw you last by the
566               altitude of a chopine. Pray God your voice, like a piece of
567               uncurrent gold, be not crack'd within the ring.- Masters, you are
568               all welcome. We'll e'en to't like French falconers, fly at
569               anything we see. We'll have a speech straight. Come, give us a
570               taste of your quality. Come, a passionate speech.
571         First Player.
572               What speech, my good lord?
573         Hamlet.
574               I heard thee speak me a speech once, but it was never acted;
575               or if it was, not above once; for the play, I remember, pleas'd
576               not the million, 'twas caviary to the general; but it was(as I
577               receiv'd it, and others, whose judgments in such matters cried in
578               the top of mine)an excellent play, well digested in the scenes,
579               set down with as much modesty as cunning. I remember one said
580               there were no sallets in the lines to make the matter savoury,
581               nor no matter in the phrase that might indict the author of
582               affectation; but call'd it an honest method, as wholesome as
583               sweet, and by very much more handsome than fine. One speech in't
584               I chiefly lov'd. 'Twas AEneas' tale to Dido, and thereabout of it
585               especially where he speaks of Priam's slaughter. If it live in
586               your memory, begin at this line- let me see, let me see:
587               'The rugged Pyrrhus, like th' Hyrcanian beast-'
588               'Tis not so; it begins with Pyrrhus:
589               'The rugged Pyrrhus, he whose sable arms,
590               Black as his purpose, did the night resemble
591               When he lay couched in the ominous horse,
592               Hath now this dread and black complexion smear'd
593               With heraldry more dismal. Head to foot
594               Now is be total gules, horridly trick'd
595               With blood of fathers, mothers, daughters, sons,
596               Bak'd and impasted with the parching streets,
597               That lend a tyrannous and a damned light
598               To their lord's murther. Roasted in wrath and fire,
599               And thus o'ersized with coagulate gore,
600               With eyes like carbuncles, the hellish Pyrrhus
601               Old grandsire Priam seeks.'
602               So, proceed you.
603         Polonius.
604               Fore God, my lord, well spoken, with good accent and good discretion.
605         First Player.
606               'Anon he finds him,
607               Striking too short at Greeks. His antique sword,
608               Rebellious to his arm, lies where it falls,
609               Repugnant to command. Unequal match'd,
610               Pyrrhus at Priam drives, in rage strikes wide;
611               But with the whiff and wind of his fell sword
612               Th' unnerved father falls. Then senseless Ilium,
613               Seeming to feel this blow, with flaming top
614               Stoops to his base, and with a hideous crash
615               Takes prisoner Pyrrhus' ear. For lo! his sword,
616               Which was declining on the milky head
617               Of reverend Priam, seem'd i' th' air to stick.
618               So, as a painted tyrant, Pyrrhus stood,
619               And, like a neutral to his will and matter,
620               Did nothing.
621               But, as we often see, against some storm,
622               A silence in the heavens, the rack stand still,
623               The bold winds speechless, and the orb below
624               As hush as death- anon the dreadful thunder
625               Doth rend the region; so, after Pyrrhus' pause,
626               Aroused vengeance sets him new awork;
627               And never did the Cyclops' hammers fall
628               On Mars's armour, forg'd for proof eterne,
629               With less remorse than Pyrrhus' bleeding sword
630               Now falls on Priam.
631               Out, out, thou strumpet Fortune! All you gods,
632               In general synod take away her power;
633               Break all the spokes and fellies from her wheel,
634               And bowl the round nave down the hill of heaven,
635               As low as to the fiends!
636         Polonius.
637               This is too long.
638         Hamlet.
639               It shall to the barber's, with your beard.- Prithee say on.
640               He's for a jig or a tale of bawdry, or he sleeps. Say on; come to
641               Hecuba.
642         First Player.
643               'But who, O who, had seen the mobled queen-'
644         Hamlet.
645               'The mobled queen'?
646         Polonius.
647               That's good! 'Mobled queen' is good.
648         First Player.
649               'Run barefoot up and down, threat'ning the flames
650               With bisson rheum; a clout upon that head
651               Where late the diadem stood, and for a robe,
652               About her lank and all o'erteemed loins,
653               A blanket, in the alarm of fear caught up-
654               Who this had seen, with tongue in venom steep'd
655               'Gainst Fortune's state would treason have pronounc'd.
656               But if the gods themselves did see her then,
657               When she saw Pyrrhus make malicious sport
658               In Mincing with his sword her husband's limbs,
659               The instant burst of clamour that she made
660               (Unless things mortal move them not at all)
661               Would have made milch the burning eyes of heaven
662               And passion in the gods.'
663         Polonius.
664               Look, whe'r he has not turn'd his colour, and has tears in's
665               eyes. Prithee no more!
666         Hamlet.
667               'Tis well. I'll have thee speak out the rest of this soon.-
668               Good my lord, will you see the players well bestow'd? Do you
669               hear? Let them be well us'd; for they are the abstract and brief
670               chronicles of the time. After your death you were better have a
671               bad epitaph than their ill report while you live.
672         Polonius.
673               My lord, I will use them according to their desert.
674         Hamlet.
675               God's bodykins, man, much better! Use every man after his
676               desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own
677               honour and dignity. The less they deserve, the more merit is in
678               your bounty. Take them in.
679         Polonius.
680               Come, sirs.
681         Hamlet.
682               Follow him, friends. We'll hear a play to-morrow.
683               [Exeunt Polonius and Players [except the First].]
684               Dost thou hear me, old friend? Can you play 'The Murther of
685               Gonzago'?
686         First Player.
687               Ay, my lord.
688         Hamlet.
689               We'll ha't to-morrow night. You could, for a need, study a
690               speech of some dozen or sixteen lines which I would set down and
691               insert in't, could you not?
692         First Player.
693               Ay, my lord.
694         Hamlet.
695               Very well. Follow that lord- and look you mock him not.
696               [Exit First Player.]
697               My good friends, I'll leave you till night. You are welcome to
698               Elsinore.
699         Rosencrantz.
700               Good my lord!
701         Hamlet.
702               Ay, so, God b' wi' ye!
703               [Exeunt Rosencrantz and Guildenstern]
704               Now I am alone.
705               O what a rogue and peasant slave am I!
706               Is it not monstrous that this player here,
707               But in a fiction, in a dream of passion,
708               Could force his soul so to his own conceit
709               That, from her working, all his visage wann'd,
710               Tears in his eyes, distraction in's aspect,
711               A broken voice, and his whole function suiting
712               With forms to his conceit? And all for nothing!
713               For Hecuba!
714               What's Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba,
715               That he should weep for her? What would he do,
716               Had he the motive and the cue for passion
717               That I have? He would drown the stage with tears
718               And cleave the general ear with horrid speech;
719               Make mad the guilty and appal the free,
720               Confound the ignorant, and amaze indeed
721               The very faculties of eyes and ears.
722               Yet I,
723               A dull and muddy-mettled rascal, peak
724               Like John-a-dreams, unpregnant of my cause,
725               And can say nothing! No, not for a king,
726               Upon whose property and most dear life
727               A damn'd defeat was made. Am I a coward?
728               Who calls me villain? breaks my pate across?
729               Plucks off my beard and blows it in my face?
730               Tweaks me by th' nose? gives me the lie i' th' throat
731               As deep as to the lungs? Who does me this, ha?
732               'Swounds, I should take it! for it cannot be
733               But I am pigeon-liver'd and lack gall
734               To make oppression bitter, or ere this
735               I should have fatted all the region kites
736               With this slave's offal. Bloody bawdy villain!
737               Remorseless, treacherous, lecherous, kindless villain!
738               O, vengeance!
739               Why, what an ass am I! This is most brave,
740               That I, the son of a dear father murther'd,
741               Prompted to my revenge by heaven and hell,
742               Must(like a whore)unpack my heart with words
743               And fall a-cursing like a very drab,
744               A scullion!
745               Fie upon't! foh! About, my brain! Hum, I have heard
746               That guilty creatures, sitting at a play,
747               Have by the very cunning of the scene
748               Been struck so to the soul that presently
749               They have proclaim'd their malefactions;
750               For murther, though it have no tongue, will speak
751               With most miraculous organ, I'll have these Players
752               Play something like the murther of my father
753               Before mine uncle. I'll observe his looks;
754               I'll tent him to the quick. If he but blench,
755               I know my course. The spirit that I have seen
756               May be a devil; and the devil hath power
757               T' assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps
758               Out of my weakness and my melancholy,
759               As he is very potent with such spirits,
760               Abuses me to damn me. I'll have grounds
761               More relative than this. The play's the thing






댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

List of Korean surnames

THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK - 1600 WILLIAM SHAKESPEAR 2. Act V, Scene 2

Why do Animals Need Salt in Their Diet?