THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK - 1600 WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2. Act III, Scene 2

HAMLET by William Shakespeare - FULL AudioBook | Greatest Audio Books https://youtu.be/6_Y-tYrGBDc

◈ The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (햄릿) ◈

2. Act III, Scene 2

0         Elsinore. hall in the Castle.

1         Enter Hamlet and three of the Players.

2         Hamlet.
3               Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounc'd it to you,
4               trippingly on the tongue. But if you mouth it, as many of our
5               players do, I had as live the town crier spoke my lines. Nor do
6               not saw the air too much with your hand, thus, but use all
7               gently; for in the very torrent, tempest, and(as I may say)
8               whirlwind of your passion, you must acquire and beget a
9               temperance that may give it smoothness. O, it offends me to the
10               soul to hear a robustious periwig-pated fellow tear a passion to
11               tatters, to very rags, to split the cars of the groundlings, who
12               (for the most part)are capable of nothing but inexplicable dumb
13               shows and noise. I would have such a fellow whipp'd for o'erdoing
14               Termagant. It out-herods Herod. Pray you avoid it.
15         First Player.
16               I warrant your honour.
17         Hamlet.
18               Be not too tame neither; but let your own discretion be your
19               tutor. Suit the action to the word, the word to the action; with
20               this special observance, that you o'erstep not the modesty of
21               nature: for anything so overdone is from the purpose of playing,
22               whose end, both at the first and now, was and is, to hold, as
23               'twere, the mirror up to nature; to show Virtue her own feature,
24               scorn her own image, and the very age and body of the time his
25               form and pressure. Now this overdone, or come tardy off, though
26               it make the unskilful laugh, cannot but make the judicious
27               grieve; the censure of the which one must in your allowance
28               o'erweigh a whole theatre of others. O, there be players that I
29               have seen play, and heard others praise, and that highly(not to
30               speak it profanely), that, neither having the accent of
31               Christians, nor the gait of Christian, pagan, nor man, have so
32               strutted and bellowed that I have thought some of Nature's
33               journeymen had made men, and not made them well, they imitated
34               humanity so abominably.
35         First Player.
36               I hope we have reform'd that indifferently with us, sir.
37         Hamlet.
38               O, reform it altogether! And let those that play your clowns
39               speak no more than is set down for them. For there be of them
40               that will themselves laugh, to set on some quantity of barren
41               spectators to laugh too, though in the mean time some necessary
42               question of the play be then to be considered. That's villanous
43               and shows a most pitiful ambition in the fool that uses it. Go
44               make you ready.
45               [Exeunt Players.]
46               [Enter Polonius, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern.]
47               How now, my lord? Will the King hear this piece of work?
48         Polonius.
49               And the Queen too, and that presently.
50         Hamlet.
51               Bid the players make haste,[Exit Polonius.]Will you two
52               help to hasten them?
53         Rosencrantz.
54               [with Guildenstern]We will, my lord.

55         Exeunt they two.

56         Hamlet.
57               What, ho, Horatio!

58         Enter Horatio.

59         Horatio.
60               Here, sweet lord, at your service.
61         Hamlet.
62               Horatio, thou art e'en as just a man
63               As e'er my conversation cop'd withal.
64         Horatio.
65               O, my dear lord!
66         Hamlet.
67               Nay, do not think I flatter;
68               For what advancement may I hope from thee,
69               That no revenue hast but thy good spirits
70               To feed and clothe thee? Why should the poor be flatter'd?
71               No, let the candied tongue lick absurd pomp,
72               And crook the pregnant hinges of the knee
73               Where thrift may follow fawning. Dost thou hear?
74               Since my dear soul was mistress of her choice
75               And could of men distinguish, her election
76               Hath seal'd thee for herself. For thou hast been
77               As one, in suff'ring all, that suffers nothing;
78               A man that Fortune's buffets and rewards
79               Hast ta'en with equal thanks; and blest are those
80               Whose blood and judgment are so well commingled
81               That they are not a pipe for Fortune's finger
82               To sound what stop she please. Give me that man
83               That is not passion's slave, and I will wear him
84               In my heart's core, ay, in my heart of heart,
85               As I do thee. Something too much of this I
86               There is a play to-night before the King.
87               One scene of it comes near the circumstance,
88               Which I have told thee, of my father's death.
89               I prithee, when thou seest that act afoot,
90               Even with the very comment of thy soul
91               Observe my uncle. If his occulted guilt
92               Do not itself unkennel in one speech,
93               It is a damned ghost that we have seen,
94               And my imaginations are as foul
95               As Vulcan's stithy. Give him heedful note;
96               For I mine eyes will rivet to his face,
97               And after we will both our judgments join
98               In censure of his seeming.
99         Horatio.
100               Well, my lord.
101               If he steal aught the whilst this play is playing,
102               And scape detecting, I will pay the theft.
103               Sound a flourish.[Enter Trumpets and Kettledrums. Danish
104               march. [Enter King, Queen, Polonius, Ophelia, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern,
105               and other Lords attendant, with the Guard carrying torches.]
106         Hamlet.
107               They are coming to the play. I must be idle.
108               Get you a place.
109         Claudius.
110               How fares our cousin Hamlet?
111         Hamlet.
112               Excellent, i' faith; of the chameleon's dish. I eat the air,
113               promise-cramm'd. You cannot feed capons so.
114         Claudius.
115               I have nothing with this answer, Hamlet. These words are not
116               mine.
117         Hamlet.
118               No, nor mine now.[To Polonius]My lord, you play'd once
119               i' th' university, you say?
120         Polonius.
121               That did I, my lord, and was accounted a good actor.
122         Hamlet.
123               What did you enact?
124         Polonius.
125               I did enact Julius Caesar; I was kill'd i' th' Capitol; Brutus
126               kill'd me.
127         Hamlet.
128               It was a brute part of him to kill so capital a calf there. Be
129               the players ready.
130         Rosencrantz.
131               Ay, my lord. They stay upon your patience.
132         Gertrude.
133               Come hither, my dear Hamlet, sit by me.
134         Hamlet.
135               No, good mother. Here's metal more attractive.
136         Polonius.
137               [to the King]O, ho! do you mark that?
138         Hamlet.
139               Lady, shall I lie in your lap?

140         [Sits down at Ophelia's feet.]

141         Ophelia.
142               No, my lord.
143         Hamlet.
144               I mean, my head upon your lap?
145         Ophelia.
146               Ay, my lord.
147         Hamlet.
148               Do you think I meant country matters?
149         Ophelia.
150               I think nothing, my lord.
151         Hamlet.
152               That's a fair thought to lie between maids' legs.
153         Ophelia.
154               What is, my lord?
155         Hamlet.
156               Nothing.
157         Ophelia.
158               You are merry, my lord.
159         Hamlet.
160               Who, I?
161         Ophelia.
162               Ay, my lord.
163         Hamlet.
164               O God, your only jig-maker! What should a man do but be merry?
165               For look you how cheerfully my mother looks, and my father died
166               within 's two hours.
167         Ophelia.
168               Nay 'tis twice two months, my lord.
169         Hamlet.
170               So long? Nay then, let the devil wear black, for I'll have a
171               suit of sables. O heavens! die two months ago, and not forgotten
172               yet? Then there's hope a great man's memory may outlive his life
173               half a year. But, by'r Lady, he must build churches then; or else
174               shall he suffer not thinking on, with the hobby-horse, whose
175               epitaph is 'For O, for O, the hobby-horse is forgot!'
176               [Hautboys play. The dumb show enters.]
177               Enter a King and a Queen very lovingly; the Queen embracing
178               him and he her. She kneels, and makes show of protestation
179               unto him. He takes her up, and declines his head upon her
180               neck. He lays him down upon a bank of flowers. She, seeing
181               him asleep, leaves him. Anon comes in a fellow, takes off his
182               crown, kisses it, pours poison in the sleeper's ears, and
183               leaves him. The Queen returns, finds the King dead, and makes
184               passionate action. The Poisoner with some three or four Mutes,
185               comes in again, seem to condole with her. The dead body is
186               carried away. The Poisoner wooes the Queen with gifts; she
187               seems harsh and unwilling awhile, but in the end accepts
188               his love.

189         Exeunt.

190         Ophelia.
191               What means this, my lord?
192         Hamlet.
193               Marry, this is miching malhecho; it means mischief.
194         Ophelia.
195               Belike this show imports the argument of the play.

196         Enter Prologue.

197         Hamlet.
198               We shall know by this fellow. The players cannot keep counsel;
199               they'll tell all.
200         Ophelia.
201               Will he tell us what this show meant?
202         Hamlet.
203               Ay, or any show that you'll show him. Be not you asham'd to
204               show, he'll not shame to tell you what it means.
205         Ophelia.
206               You are naught, you are naught! I'll mark the play.
207               Pro. For us, and for our tragedy,
208               Here stooping to your clemency,
209               We beg your hearing patiently.[Exit.]
210         Hamlet.
211               Is this a prologue, or the posy of a ring?
212         Ophelia.
213               'Tis brief, my lord.
214         Hamlet.
215               As woman's love.

216         Enter [two Players as] King and Queen.

217         Player King.
218               Full thirty times hath Phoebus' cart gone round
219               Neptune's salt wash and Tellus' orbed ground,
220               And thirty dozen moons with borrowed sheen
221               About the world have times twelve thirties been,
222               Since love our hearts, and Hymen did our hands,
223               Unite comutual in most sacred bands.
224         Player Queen.
225               So many journeys may the sun and moon
226               Make us again count o'er ere love be done!
227               But woe is me! you are so sick of late,
228               So far from cheer and from your former state.
229               That I distrust you. Yet, though I distrust,
230               Discomfort you, my lord, it nothing must;
231               For women's fear and love holds quantity,
232               In neither aught, or in extremity.
233               Now what my love is, proof hath made you know;
234               And as my love is siz'd, my fear is so.
235               Where love is great, the littlest doubts are fear;
236               Where little fears grow great, great love grows there.
237         Player King.
238               Faith, I must leave thee, love, and shortly too;
239               My operant powers their functions leave to do.
240               And thou shalt live in this fair world behind,
241               Honour'd, belov'd, and haply one as kind
242               For husband shalt thou-
243         Player Queen.
244               O, confound the rest!
245               Such love must needs be treason in my breast.
246               When second husband let me be accurst!
247               None wed the second but who killed the first.
248         Hamlet.
249               [aside]Wormwood, wormwood!
250               Queen. The instances that second marriage move
251               Are base respects of thrift, but none of love.
252               A second time I kill my husband dead
253               When second husband kisses me in bed.
254         Player King.
255               I do believe you think what now you speak;
256               But what we do determine oft we break.
257               Purpose is but the slave to memory,
258               Of violent birth, but poor validity;
259               Which now, like fruit unripe, sticks on the tree,
260               But fall unshaken when they mellow be.
261               Most necessary 'tis that we forget
262               To pay ourselves what to ourselves is debt.
263               What to ourselves in passion we propose,
264               The passion ending, doth the purpose lose.
265               The violence of either grief or joy
266               Their own enactures with themselves destroy.
267               Where joy most revels, grief doth most lament;
268               Grief joys, joy grieves, on slender accident.
269               This world is not for aye, nor 'tis not strange
270               That even our loves should with our fortunes change;
271               For 'tis a question left us yet to prove,
272               Whether love lead fortune, or else fortune love.
273               The great man down, you mark his favourite flies,
274               The poor advanc'd makes friends of enemies;
275               And hitherto doth love on fortune tend,
276               For who not needs shall never lack a friend,
277               And who in want a hollow friend doth try,
278               Directly seasons him his enemy.
279               But, orderly to end where I begun,
280               Our wills and fates do so contrary run
281               That our devices still are overthrown;
282               Our thoughts are ours, their ends none of our own.
283               So think thou wilt no second husband wed;
284               But die thy thoughts when thy first lord is dead.
285         Player Queen.
286               Nor earth to me give food, nor heaven light,
287               Sport and repose lock from me day and night,
288               To desperation turn my trust and hope,
289               An anchor's cheer in prison be my scope,
290               Each opposite that blanks the face of joy
291               Meet what I would have well, and it destroy,
292               Both here and hence pursue me lasting strife,
293               If, once a widow, ever I be wife!
294         Hamlet.
295               If she should break it now!
296         Player King.
297               'Tis deeply sworn. Sweet, leave me here awhile.
298               My spirits grow dull, and fain I would beguile
299               The tedious day with sleep.
300         Player Queen.
301               Sleep rock thy brain,

302         He sleeps.]

303         Player Queen.
304               And never come mischance between us twain!

305         Exit.

306         Hamlet.
307               Madam, how like you this play?
308         Gertrude.
309               The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
310         Hamlet.
311               O, but she'll keep her word.
312         Claudius.
313               Have you heard the argument? Is there no offence in't?
314         Hamlet.
315               No, no! They do but jest, poison in jest; no offence i' th'
316               world.
317         Claudius.
318               What do you call the play?
319         Hamlet.
320               'The Mousetrap.' Marry, how? Tropically. This play is the
321               image of a murther done in Vienna. Gonzago is the duke's name;
322               his wife, Baptista. You shall see anon. 'Tis a knavish piece of
323               work; but what o' that? Your Majesty, and we that have free
324               souls, it touches us not. Let the gall'd jade winch; our withers
325               are unwrung.

326         Enter Lucianus.This is one Lucianus, nephew to the King.

327         Ophelia.
328               You are as good as a chorus, my lord.
329         Hamlet.
330               I could interpret between you and your love, if I could see
331               the puppets dallying.
332         Ophelia.
333               You are keen, my lord, you are keen.
334         Hamlet.
335               It would cost you a groaning to take off my edge.
336         Ophelia.
337               Still better, and worse.
338         Hamlet.
339               So you must take your husbands.- Begin, murtherer. Pox, leave
340               thy damnable faces, and begin! Come, the croaking raven doth
341               bellow for revenge.
342               Luc. Thoughts black, hands apt, drugs fit, and time agreeing; Confederate season, else no creature seeing; Thou mixture rank, of midnight weeds collected, With Hecate's ban thrice blasted, thrice infected, Thy natural magic and dire property On wholesome life usurp immediately.

343         Pours the poison in his ears.

344         Hamlet.
345               He poisons him i' th' garden for's estate. His name's Gonzago.
346               The story is extant, and written in very choice Italian. You
347               shall see anon how the murtherer gets the love of Gonzago's wife.
348         Ophelia.
349               The King rises.
350         Hamlet.
351               What, frighted with false fire?
352         Gertrude.
353               How fares my lord?
354         Polonius.
355               Give o'er the play.
356         Claudius.
357               Give me some light! Away!

358         All.
359               Lights, lights, lights!

360         Exeunt all but Hamlet and Horatio.

361         Hamlet.
362               Why, let the strucken deer go weep,
363               The hart ungalled play;
364               For some must watch, while some must sleep:
365               Thus runs the world away.
366               Would not this, sir, and a forest of feathers- if the rest of my
367               fortunes turn Turk with me-with two Provincial roses on my raz'd
368               shoes, get me a fellowship in a cry of players, sir?
369         Horatio.
370               Half a share.
371         Hamlet.
372               A whole one I!
373               For thou dost know, O Damon dear,
374               This realm dismantled was
375               Of Jove himself; and now reigns here
376               A very, very- pajock.
377         Horatio.
378               You might have rhym'd.
379         Hamlet.
380               O good Horatio, I'll take the ghost's word for a thousand
381               pound! Didst perceive?
382         Horatio.
383               Very well, my lord.
384         Hamlet.
385               Upon the talk of the poisoning?
386         Horatio.
387               I did very well note him.
388         Hamlet.
389               Aha! Come, some music! Come, the recorders!
390               For if the King like not the comedy,
391               Why then, belike he likes it not, perdy.
392               Come, some music!
393               Enter Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
394         Guildenstern.
395               Good my lord, vouchsafe me a word with you.
396         Hamlet.
397               Sir, a whole history.
398         Guildenstern.
399               The King, sir-
400         Hamlet.
401               Ay, sir, what of him?
402         Guildenstern.
403               Is in his retirement, marvellous distemper'd.
404         Hamlet.
405               With drink, sir?
406         Guildenstern.
407               No, my lord; rather with choler.
408         Hamlet.
409               Your wisdom should show itself more richer to signify this to
410               the doctor; for me to put him to his purgation would perhaps
411               plunge him into far more choler.
412         Guildenstern.
413               Good my lord, put your discourse into some frame, and start
414               not so wildly from my affair.
415         Hamlet.
416               I am tame, sir; pronounce.
417         Guildenstern.
418               The Queen, your mother, in most great affliction of spirit
419               hath sent me to you.
420         Hamlet.
421               You are welcome.
422         Guildenstern.
423               Nay, good my lord, this courtesy is not of the right breed.
424               If it shall please you to make me a wholesome answer, I will do
425               your mother's commandment; if not, your pardon and my return
426               shall be the end of my business.
427         Hamlet.
428               Sir, I cannot.
429         Guildenstern.
430               What, my lord?
431         Hamlet.
432               Make you a wholesome answer; my wit's diseas'd. But, sir, such
433               answer as I can make, you shall command; or rather, as you say,
434               my mother. Therefore no more, but to the matter! My mother, you
435               say-
436         Rosencrantz.
437               Then thus she says: your behaviour hath struck her into
438               amazement and admiration.
439         Hamlet.
440               O wonderful son, that can so stonish a mother! But is there no
441               sequel at the heels of this mother's admiration? Impart.
442         Rosencrantz.
443               She desires to speak with you in her closet ere you go to bed.
444         Hamlet.
445               We shall obey, were she ten times our mother. Have you any
446               further trade with us?
447         Rosencrantz.
448               My lord, you once did love me.
449         Hamlet.
450               And do still, by these pickers and stealers!
451         Rosencrantz.
452               Good my lord, what is your cause of distemper? You do surely
453               bar the door upon your own liberty, if you deny your griefs to
454               your friend.
455         Hamlet.
456               Sir, I lack advancement.
457         Rosencrantz.
458               How can that be, when you have the voice of the King himself
459               for your succession in Denmark?
460         Hamlet.
461               Ay, sir, but 'while the grass grows'- the proverb is something
462               musty.
463               [Enter the Players with recorders. ]
464               O, the recorders! Let me see one. To withdraw with you- why do
465               you go about to recover the wind of me, as if you would drive me
466               into a toil?
467         Guildenstern.
468               O my lord, if my duty be too bold, my love is too unmannerly.
469         Hamlet.
470               I do not well understand that. Will you play upon this pipe?
471         Guildenstern.
472               My lord, I cannot.
473         Hamlet.
474               I pray you.
475         Guildenstern.
476               Believe me, I cannot.
477         Hamlet.
478               I do beseech you.
479         Guildenstern.
480               I know, no touch of it, my lord.
481         Hamlet.
482               It is as easy as lying. Govern these ventages with your
483               fingers and thumbs, give it breath with your mouth, and it will
484               discourse most eloquent music. Look you, these are the stops.
485         Guildenstern.
486               But these cannot I command to any utt'rance of harmony. I
487               have not the skill.
488         Hamlet.
489               Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me! You
490               would play upon me; you would seem to know my stops; you would
491               pluck out the heart of my mystery; you would sound me from my
492               lowest note to the top of my compass; and there is much music,
493               excellent voice, in this little organ, yet cannot you make it
494               speak. 'Sblood, do you think I am easier to be play'd on than a
495               pipe? Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me,
496               you cannot play upon me.
497               [Enter Polonius.]
498               God bless you, sir!
499         Polonius.
500               My lord, the Queen would speak with you, and presently.
501         Hamlet.
502               Do you see yonder cloud that's almost in shape of a camel?
503         Polonius.
504               By th' mass, and 'tis like a camel indeed.
505         Hamlet.
506               Methinks it is like a weasel.
507         Polonius.
508               It is back'd like a weasel.
509         Hamlet.
510               Or like a whale.
511         Polonius.
512               Very like a whale.
513         Hamlet.
514               Then will I come to my mother by-and-by.- They fool me to the
515               top of my bent.- I will come by-and-by.
516         Polonius.
517               I will say so.[Exit.]
518         Hamlet.
519               'By-and-by' is easily said.- Leave me, friends.
520               [Exeunt all but Hamlet.]
521               'Tis now the very witching time of night,
522               When churchyards yawn, and hell itself breathes out
523               Contagion to this world. Now could I drink hot blood
524               And do such bitter business as the day
525               Would quake to look on. Soft! now to my mother!
526               O heart, lose not thy nature; let not ever
527               The soul of Nero enter this firm bosom.
528               Let me be cruel, not unnatural;
529               I will speak daggers to her, but use none.
530               My tongue and soul in this be hypocrites-
531               How in my words somever she be shent,
532               To give them seals never, my soul, consent![Exit.]

출처出處source ■ http://davincimap.co.kr/davBase/Source/davSource.jsp?Job=Body&SourID=SOUR001584&Lang=%EC%98%81%EB%AC%B8&Page=3&View=Text#1.%20Act%20III,%20Scene%201



댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

List of Korean surnames

THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK - 1600 WILLIAM SHAKESPEAR 2. Act V, Scene 2

Why do Animals Need Salt in Their Diet?