THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK - 1600 WILLIAM SHAKESPEAR 7. Act IV, Scene 7


◈ The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (햄릿) ◈

7. Act IV, Scene 7

0         Elsinore. Another room in the Castle.

1         Enter King and Laertes.

2         Claudius.
3               Now must your conscience my acquittance seal,
4               And You must put me in your heart for friend,
5               Sith you have heard, and with a knowing ear,
6               That he which hath your noble father slain
7               Pursued my life.
8         Laertes.
9               It well appears. But tell me
10               Why you proceeded not against these feats
11               So crimeful and so capital in nature,
12               As by your safety, wisdom, all things else,
13               You mainly were stirr'd up.
14         Claudius.
15               O, for two special reasons,
16               Which may to you, perhaps, seem much unsinew'd,
17               But yet to me they are strong. The Queen his mother
18               Lives almost by his looks; and for myself,-
19               My virtue or my plague, be it either which,-
20               She's so conjunctive to my life and soul
21               That, as the star moves not but in his sphere,
22               I could not but by her. The other motive
23               Why to a public count I might not go
24               Is the great love the general gender bear him,
25               Who, dipping all his faults in their affection,
26               Would, like the spring that turneth wood to stone,
27               Convert his gives to graces; so that my arrows,
28               Too slightly timber'd for so loud a wind,
29               Would have reverted to my bow again,
30               And not where I had aim'd them.
31         Laertes.
32               And so have I a noble father lost;
33               A sister driven into desp'rate terms,
34               Whose worth, if praises may go back again,
35               Stood challenger on mount of all the age
36               For her perfections. But my revenge will come.
37         Claudius.
38               Break not your sleeps for that. You must not think
39               That we are made of stuff so flat and dull
40               That we can let our beard be shook with danger,
41               And think it pastime. You shortly shall hear more.
42               I lov'd your father, and we love ourself,
43               And that, I hope, will teach you to imagine-
44               [Enter a Messenger with letters.]
45               How now? What news?
46         Messenger.
47               Letters, my lord, from Hamlet:
48               This to your Majesty; this to the Queen.
49         Claudius.
50               From Hamlet? Who brought them?
51         Messenger.
52               Sailors, my lord, they say; I saw them not.
53               They were given me by Claudio; he receiv'd them
54               Of him that brought them.
55         Claudius.
56               Laertes, you shall hear them.
57               Leave us.
58               [Exit Messenger.]
59               [Reads]'High and Mighty,-You shall know I am set naked on your
60               kingdom. To-morrow shall I beg leave to see your kingly eyes;
61               when I shall(first asking your pardon thereunto)recount the
62               occasion of my sudden and more strange return. 'HAMLET.'
63               What should this mean? Are all the rest come back?
64               Or is it some abuse, and no such thing?
65         Laertes.
66               Know you the hand?
67         Claudius.
68               'Tis Hamlet's character. 'Naked!'
69               And in a postscript here, he says 'alone.'
70               Can you advise me?
71         Laertes.
72               I am lost in it, my lord. But let him come!
73               It warms the very sickness in my heart
74               That I shall live and tell him to his teeth,
75               'Thus didest thou.'
76         Claudius.
77               If it be so, Laertes
78               (As how should it be so? how otherwise?),
79               Will you be rul'd by me?
80         Laertes.
81               Ay my lord,
82               So you will not o'errule me to a peace.
83         Claudius.
84               To thine own peace. If he be now return'd
85               As checking at his voyage, and that he means
86               No more to undertake it, I will work him
87               To exploit now ripe in my device,
88               Under the which he shall not choose but fall;
89               And for his death no wind shall breathe
90               But even his mother shall uncharge the practice
91               And call it accident.
92         Laertes.
93               My lord, I will be rul'd;
94               The rather, if you could devise it so
95               That I might be the organ.
96         Claudius.
97               It falls right.
98               You have been talk'd of since your travel much,
99               And that in Hamlet's hearing, for a quality
100               Wherein they say you shine, Your sum of parts
101               Did not together pluck such envy from him
102               As did that one; and that, in my regard,
103               Of the unworthiest siege.
104         Laertes.
105               What part is that, my lord?
106         Claudius.
107               A very riband in the cap of youth-
108               Yet needfull too; for youth no less becomes
109               The light and careless livery that it wears
110               Than settled age his sables and his weeds,
111               Importing health and graveness. Two months since
112               Here was a gentleman of Normandy.
113               I have seen myself, and serv'd against, the French,
114               And they can well on horseback; but this gallant
115               Had witchcraft in't. He grew unto his seat,
116               And to such wondrous doing brought his horse
117               As had he been incorps'd and demi-natur'd
118               With the brave beast. So far he topp'd my thought
119               That I, in forgery of shapes and tricks,
120               Come short of what he did.
121         Laertes.
122               A Norman was't?
123         Claudius.
124               A Norman.
125         Laertes.
126               Upon my life, Lamound.
127         Claudius.
128               The very same.
129         Laertes.
130               I know him well. He is the broach indeed
131               And gem of all the nation.
132         Claudius.
133               He made confession of you;
134               And gave you such a masterly report
135               For art and exercise in your defence,
136               And for your rapier most especially,
137               That he cried out 'twould be a sight indeed
138               If one could match you. The scrimers of their nation
139               He swore had neither motion, guard, nor eye,
140               If you oppos'd them. Sir, this report of his
141               Did Hamlet so envenom with his envy
142               That he could nothing do but wish and beg
143               Your sudden coming o'er to play with you.
144               Now, out of this-
145         Laertes.
146               What out of this, my lord?
147         Claudius.
148               Laertes, was your father dear to you?
149               Or are you like the painting of a sorrow,
150               A face without a heart,'
151         Laertes.
152               Why ask you this?
153         Claudius.
154               Not that I think you did not love your father;
155               But that I know love is begun by time,
156               And that I see, in passages of proof,
157               Time qualifies the spark and fire of it.
158               There lives within the very flame of love
159               A kind of wick or snuff that will abate it;
160               And nothing is at a like goodness still;
161               For goodness, growing to a plurisy,
162               Dies in his own too-much. That we would do,
163               We should do when we would; for this 'would' changes,
164               And hath abatements and delays as many
165               As there are tongues, are hands, are accidents;
166               And then this 'should' is like a spendthrift sigh,
167               That hurts by easing. But to the quick o' th' ulcer!
168               Hamlet comes back. What would you undertake
169               To show yourself your father's son in deed
170               More than in words?
171         Laertes.
172               To cut his throat i' th' church!
173         Claudius.
174               No place indeed should murther sanctuarize;
175               Revenge should have no bounds. But, good Laertes,
176               Will you do this? Keep close within your chamber.
177               Hamlet return'd shall know you are come home.
178               We'll put on those shall praise your excellence
179               And set a double varnish on the fame
180               The Frenchman gave you; bring you in fine together
181               And wager on your heads. He, being remiss,
182               Most generous, and free from all contriving,
183               Will not peruse the foils; so that with ease,
184               Or with a little shuffling, you may choose
185               A sword unbated, and, in a pass of practice,
186               Requite him for your father.
187         Laertes.
188               I will do't!
189               And for that purpose I'll anoint my sword.
190               I bought an unction of a mountebank,
191               So mortal that, but dip a knife in it,
192               Where it draws blood no cataplasm so rare,
193               Collected from all simples that have virtue
194               Under the moon, can save the thing from death
195               This is but scratch'd withal. I'll touch my point
196               With this contagion, that, if I gall him slightly,
197               It may be death.
198         Claudius.
199               Let's further think of this,
200               Weigh what convenience both of time and means
201               May fit us to our shape. If this should fall,
202               And that our drift look through our bad performance.
203               'Twere better not assay'd. Therefore this project
204               Should have a back or second, that might hold
205               If this did blast in proof. Soft! let me see.
206               We'll make a solemn wager on your cunnings-
207               I ha't!
208               When in your motion you are hot and dry-
209               As make your bouts more violent to that end-
210               And that he calls for drink, I'll have prepar'd him
211               A chalice for the nonce; whereon but sipping,
212               If he by chance escape your venom'd stuck,
213               Our purpose may hold there.- But stay, what noise,
214               [Enter Queen.]
215               How now, sweet queen?
216         Gertrude.
217               One woe doth tread upon another's heel,
218               So fast they follow. Your sister's drown'd, Laertes.
219         Laertes.
220               Drown'd! O, where?
221         Gertrude.
222               There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
223               That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
224               There with fantastic garlands did she come
225               Of crowflowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples,
226               That liberal shepherds give a grosser name,
227               But our cold maids do dead men's fingers call them.
228               There on the pendant boughs her coronet weeds
229               Clamb'ring to hang, an envious sliver broke,
230               When down her weedy trophies and herself
231               Fell in the weeping brook. Her clothes spread wide
232               And, mermaid-like, awhile they bore her up;
233               Which time she chaunted snatches of old tunes,
234               As one incapable of her own distress,
235               Or like a creature native and indued
236               Unto that element; but long it could not be
237               Till that her garments, heavy with their drink,
238               Pull'd the poor wretch from her melodious lay
239               To muddy death.
240         Laertes.
241               Alas, then she is drown'd?
242         Gertrude.
243               Drown'd, drown'd.
244         Laertes.
245               Too much of water hast thou, poor Ophelia,
246               And therefore I forbid my tears; but yet
247               It is our trick; nature her custom holds,
248               Let shame say what it will. When these are gone,
249               The woman will be out. Adieu, my lord.
250               I have a speech of fire, that fain would blaze
251               But that this folly douts it.[Exit.]
252         Claudius.
253               Let's follow, Gertrude.
254               How much I had to do to calm his rage I
255               Now fear I this will give it start again;
256               Therefore let's follow.






댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

List of Korean surnames

THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK - 1600 WILLIAM SHAKESPEAR 2. Act V, Scene 2

Why do Animals Need Salt in Their Diet?