THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK - 1600 WILLIAM SHAKESPEAR 2. Act V, Scene 2

HAMLET by William Shakespeare - FULL AudioBook | Greatest Audio Books https://youtu.be/6_Y-tYrGBDc

◈ The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (햄릿) ◈

2. Act V, Scene 2

0         Elsinore. A hall in the Castle.

1         Enter Hamlet and Horatio.

2         Hamlet.
3               So much for this, sir; now shall you see the other.
4               You do remember all the circumstance?
5         Horatio.
6               Remember it, my lord!
7         Hamlet.
8               Sir, in my heart there was a kind of fighting
9               That would not let me sleep. Methought I lay
10               Worse than the mutinies in the bilboes. Rashly-
11               And prais'd be rashness for it; let us know,
12               Our indiscretion sometime serves us well
13               When our deep plots do pall; and that should learn us
14               There's a divinity that shapes our ends,
15               Rough-hew them how we will-
16         Horatio.
17               That is most certain.
18         Hamlet.
19               Up from my cabin,
20               My sea-gown scarf'd about me, in the dark
21               Grop'd I to find out them; had my desire,
22               Finger'd their packet, and in fine withdrew
23               To mine own room again; making so bold
24               (My fears forgetting manners)to unseal
25               Their grand commission; where I found, Horatio
26               (O royal knavery!), an exact command,
27               Larded with many several sorts of reasons,
28               Importing Denmark's health, and England's too,
29               With, hoo! such bugs and goblins in my life-
30               That, on the supervise, no leisure bated,
31               No, not to stay the finding of the axe,
32               My head should be struck off.
33         Horatio.
34               Is't possible?
35         Hamlet.
36               Here's the commission; read it at more leisure.
37               But wilt thou bear me how I did proceed?
38         Horatio.
39               I beseech you.
40         Hamlet.
41               Being thus benetted round with villanies,
42               Or I could make a prologue to my brains,
43               They had begun the play. I sat me down;
44               Devis'd a new commission; wrote it fair.
45               I once did hold it, as our statists do,
46               A baseness to write fair, and labour'd much
47               How to forget that learning; but, sir, now
48               It did me yeoman's service. Wilt thou know
49               Th' effect of what I wrote?
50         Horatio.
51               Ay, good my lord.
52         Hamlet.
53               An earnest conjuration from the King,
54               As England was his faithful tributary,
55               As love between them like the palm might flourish,
56               As peace should still her wheaten garland wear
57               And stand a comma 'tween their amities,
58               And many such-like as's of great charge,
59               That, on the view and knowing of these contents,
60               Without debatement further, more or less,
61               He should the bearers put to sudden death,
62               Not shriving time allow'd.
63         Horatio.
64               How was this seal'd?
65         Hamlet.
66               Why, even in that was heaven ordinant.
67               I had my father's signet in my purse,
68               Which was the model of that Danish seal;
69               Folded the writ up in the form of th' other,
70               Subscrib'd it, gave't th' impression, plac'd it safely,
71               The changeling never known. Now, the next day
72               Was our sea-fight; and what to this was sequent
73               Thou know'st already.
74         Horatio.
75               So Guildenstern and Rosencrantz go to't.
76         Hamlet.
77               Why, man, they did make love to this employment!
78               They are not near my conscience; their defeat
79               Does by their own insinuation grow.
80               'Tis dangerous when the baser nature comes
81               Between the pass and fell incensed points
82               Of mighty opposites.
83         Horatio.
84               Why, what a king is this!
85         Hamlet.
86               Does it not, thinks't thee, stand me now upon-
87               He that hath kill'd my king, and whor'd my mother;
88               Popp'd in between th' election and my hopes;
89               Thrown out his angle for my proper life,
90               And with such coz'nage- is't not perfect conscience
91               To quit him with this arm? And is't not to be damn'd
92               To let this canker of our nature come
93               In further evil?
94         Horatio.
95               It must be shortly known to him from England
96               What is the issue of the business there.
97         Hamlet.
98               It will be short; the interim is mine,
99               And a man's life is no more than to say 'one.'
100               But I am very sorry, good Horatio,
101               That to Laertes I forgot myself,
102               For by the image of my cause I see
103               The portraiture of his. I'll court his favours.
104               But sure the bravery of his grief did put me
105               Into a tow'ring passion.
106         Horatio.
107               Peace! Who comes here?

108         Enter young Osric, a courtier.

109         Osric.
110               Your lordship is right welcome back to Denmark.
111         Hamlet.
112               I humbly thank you, sir.[Aside to Horatio]Dost know this
113               waterfly?
114         Horatio.
115               [aside to Hamlet]No, my good lord.
116         Hamlet.
117               [aside to Horatio]Thy state is the more gracious; for 'tis a
118               vice to know him. He hath much land, and fertile. Let a beast be
119               lord of beasts, and his crib shall stand at the king's mess. 'Tis
120               a chough; but, as I say, spacious in the possession of dirt.
121         Osric.
122               Sweet lord, if your lordship were at leisure, I should impart
123               a thing to you from his Majesty.
124         Hamlet.
125               I will receive it, sir, with all diligence of spirit. Put your
126               bonnet to his right use. 'Tis for the head.
127         Osric.
128               I thank your lordship, it is very hot.
129         Hamlet.
130               No, believe me, 'tis very cold; the wind is northerly.
131         Osric.
132               It is indifferent cold, my lord, indeed.
133         Hamlet.
134               But yet methinks it is very sultry and hot for my complexion.
135         Osric.
136               Exceedingly, my lord; it is very sultry, as 'twere- I cannot
137               tell how. But, my lord, his Majesty bade me signify to you that
138               he has laid a great wager on your head. Sir, this is the matter-
139         Hamlet.
140               I beseech you remember.

141         [Hamlet moves him to put on his hat.]

142         Osric.
143               Nay, good my lord; for mine ease, in good faith. Sir, here is
144               newly come to court Laertes; believe me, an absolute gentleman,
145               full of most excellent differences, of very soft society and
146               great showing. Indeed, to speak feelingly of him, he is the card
147               or calendar of gentry; for you shall find in him the continent of
148               what part a gentleman would see.
149         Hamlet.
150               Sir, his definement suffers no perdition in you; though, I
151               know, to divide him inventorially would dozy th' arithmetic of
152               memory, and yet but yaw neither in respect of his quick sail.
153               But, in the verity of extolment, I take him to be a soul of great
154               article, and his infusion of such dearth and rareness as, to make
155               true diction of him, his semblable is his mirror, and who else would trace him, his umbrage, nothing more.
156         Osric.
157               Your lordship speaks most infallibly of him.
158         Hamlet.
159               The concernancy, sir? Why do we wrap the gentleman in our more
160               rawer breath?
161         Osric.
162               Sir?
163         Horatio.
164               [aside to Hamlet]Is't not possible to understand in another
165               tongue? You will do't, sir, really.
166         Hamlet.
167               What imports the nomination of this gentleman?
168         Osric.
169               Of Laertes?
170         Horatio.
171               [aside]His purse is empty already. All's golden words are
172               spent.
173         Hamlet.
174               Of him, sir.
175         Osric.
176               I know you are not ignorant-
177         Hamlet.
178               I would you did, sir; yet, in faith, if you did, it would not
179               much approve me. Well, sir?
180         Osric.
181               You are not ignorant of what excellence Laertes is-
182         Hamlet.
183               I dare not confess that, lest I should compare with him in
184               excellence; but to know a man well were to know himself.
185         Osric.
186               I mean, sir, for his weapon; but in the imputation laid on him
187               by them, in his meed he's unfellowed.
188         Hamlet.
189               What's his weapon?
190         Osric.
191               Rapier and dagger.
192         Hamlet.
193               That's two of his weapons- but well.
194         Osric.
195               The King, sir, hath wager'd with him six Barbary horses;
196               against the which he has impon'd, as I take it, six French
197               rapiers and poniards, with their assigns, as girdle, hangers, and
198               so. Three of the carriages, in faith, are very dear to fancy,
199               very responsive to the hilts, most delicate carriages, and of
200               very liberal conceit.
201         Hamlet.
202               What call you the carriages?
203         Horatio.
204               [aside to Hamlet]I knew you must be edified by the margent
205               ere you had done.
206         Osric.
207               The carriages, sir, are the hangers.
208         Hamlet.
209               The phrase would be more germane to the matter if we could
210               carry cannon by our sides. I would it might be hangers till then.
211               But on! Six Barbary horses against six French swords, their
212               assigns, and three liberal-conceited carriages: that's the French
213               bet against the Danish. Why is this all impon'd, as you call it?
214         Osric.
215               The King, sir, hath laid that, in a dozen passes between
216               yourself and him, he shall not exceed you three hits; he hath
217               laid on twelve for nine, and it would come to immediate trial
218               if your lordship would vouchsafe the answer.
219         Hamlet.
220               How if I answer no?
221         Osric.
222               I mean, my lord, the opposition of your person in trial.
223         Hamlet.
224               Sir, I will walk here in the hall. If it please his Majesty,
225               it is the breathing time of day with me. Let the foils be
226               brought, the gentleman willing, and the King hold his purpose,
227               I will win for him if I can; if not, I will gain nothing but my
228               shame and the odd hits.
229         Osric.
230               Shall I redeliver you e'en so?
231         Hamlet.
232               To this effect, sir, after what flourish your nature will.
233         Osric.
234               I commend my duty to your lordship.
235         Hamlet.
236               Yours, yours.[Exit Osric.]He does well to commend it
237               himself; there are no tongues else for's turn.
238         Horatio.
239               This lapwing runs away with the shell on his head.
240         Hamlet.
241               He did comply with his dug before he suck'd it. Thus has he,
242               and many more of the same bevy that I know the drossy age dotes
243               on, only got the tune of the time and outward habit of encounter-
244               a kind of yesty collection, which carries them through and
245               through the most fann'd and winnowed opinions; and do but blow
246               them to their trial-the bubbles are out,

247         Enter a Lord.

248         Lord.
249               My lord, his Majesty commended him to you by young Osric, who
250               brings back to him, that you attend him in the hall. He sends to
251               know if your pleasure hold to play with Laertes, or that you will
252               take longer time.
253         Hamlet.
254               I am constant to my purposes; they follow the King's pleasure.
255               If his fitness speaks, mine is ready; now or whensoever, provided
256               I be so able as now.
257         Lord.
258               The King and Queen and all are coming down.
259         Hamlet.
260               In happy time.
261         Lord.
262               The Queen desires you to use some gentle entertainment to
263               Laertes before you fall to play.
264         Hamlet.
265               She well instructs me.

266         [Exit Lord.]

267         Horatio.
268               You will lose this wager, my lord.
269         Hamlet.
270               I do not think so. Since he went into France I have been in
271               continual practice. I shall win at the odds. But thou wouldst not
272               think how ill all's here about my heart. But it is no matter.
273         Horatio.
274               Nay, good my lord—
275         Hamlet.
276               It is but foolery; but it is such a kind of gaingiving as
277               would perhaps trouble a woman.
278         Horatio.
279               If your mind dislike anything, obey it. I will forestall their
280               repair hither and say you are not fit.
281         Hamlet.
282               Not a whit, we defy augury; there's a special providence in
283               the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be
284               not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come:
285               the readiness is all. Since no man knows aught of what he leaves,
286               what is't to leave betimes? Let be.

287         Enter King, Queen, Laertes, Osric, and Lords, with other

288         Attendants with foils and gauntlets.

289         A table and flagons of wine on it.

290         Claudius.
291               Come, Hamlet, come, and take this hand from me.

292         [The King puts Laertes' hand into Hamlet's.]

293         Hamlet.
294               Give me your pardon, sir. I have done you wrong;
295               But pardon't, as you are a gentleman.
296               This presence knows,
297               And you must needs have heard, how I am punish'd
298               With sore distraction. What I have done
299               That might your nature, honour, and exception
300               Roughly awake, I here proclaim was madness.
301               Was't Hamlet wrong'd Laertes? Never Hamlet.
302               If Hamlet from himself be taken away,
303               And when he's not himself does wrong Laertes,
304               Then Hamlet does it not, Hamlet denies it.
305               Who does it, then? His madness. If't be so,
306               Hamlet is of the faction that is wrong'd;
307               His madness is poor Hamlet's enemy.
308               Sir, in this audience,
309               Let my disclaiming from a purpos'd evil
310               Free me so far in your most generous thoughts
311               That I have shot my arrow o'er the house
312               And hurt my brother.
313         Laertes.
314               I am satisfied in nature,
315               Whose motive in this case should stir me most
316               To my revenge. But in my terms of honour
317               I stand aloof, and will no reconcilement
318               Till by some elder masters of known honour
319               I have a voice and precedent of peace
320               To keep my name ungor'd. But till that time
321               I do receive your offer'd love like love,
322               And will not wrong it.
323         Hamlet.
324               I embrace it freely,
325               And will this brother's wager frankly play.
326               Give us the foils. Come on.
327         Laertes.
328               Come, one for me.
329         Hamlet.
330               I'll be your foil, Laertes. In mine ignorance
331               Your skill shall, like a star i' th' darkest night,
332               Stick fiery off indeed.
333         Laertes.
334               You mock me, sir.
335         Hamlet.
336               No, by this hand.
337         Claudius.
338               Give them the foils, young Osric. Cousin Hamlet,
339               You know the wager?
340         Hamlet.
341               Very well, my lord.
342               Your Grace has laid the odds o' th' weaker side.
343         Claudius.
344               I do not fear it, I have seen you both;
345               But since he is better'd, we have therefore odds.
346         Laertes.
347               This is too heavy; let me see another.
348         Hamlet.
349               This likes me well. These foils have all a length?

350         Prepare to play.

351         Osric.
352               Ay, my good lord.
353         Claudius.
354               Set me the stoups of wine upon that table.
355               If Hamlet give the first or second hit,
356               Or quit in answer of the third exchange,
357               Let all the battlements their ordnance fire;
358               The King shall drink to Hamlet's better breath,
359               And in the cup an union shall he throw
360               Richer than that which four successive kings
361               In Denmark's crown have worn. Give me the cups;
362               And let the kettle to the trumpet speak,
363               The trumpet to the cannoneer without,
364               The cannons to the heavens, the heaven to earth,
365               'Now the King drinks to Hamlet.' Come, begin.
366               And you the judges, bear a wary eye.
367         Hamlet.
368               Come on, sir.
369         Laertes.
370               Come, my lord. They play.
371         Hamlet.
372               One.
373         Laertes.
374               No.
375         Hamlet.
376               Judgment!
377         Osric.
378               A hit, a very palpable hit.
379         Laertes.
380               Well, again!
381         Claudius.
382               Stay, give me drink. Hamlet, this pearl is thine;
383               Here's to thy health.
384               [Drum; trumpets sound; a piece goes off [within].]
385               Give him the cup.
386         Hamlet.
387               I'll play this bout first; set it by awhile.
388               Come.[They play.]Another hit. What say you?
389         Laertes.
390               A touch, a touch; I do confess't.
391         Claudius.
392               Our son shall win.
393         Gertrude.
394               He's fat, and scant of breath.
395               Here, Hamlet, take my napkin, rub thy brows.
396               The Queen carouses to thy fortune, Hamlet.
397         Hamlet.
398               Good madam!
399         Claudius.
400               Gertrude, do not drink.
401         Gertrude.
402               I will, my lord; I pray you pardon me. Drinks.
403         Claudius.
404               [aside]It is the poison'd cup; it is too late.
405         Hamlet.
406               I dare not drink yet, madam; by-and-by.
407         Gertrude.
408               Come, let me wipe thy face.
409         Laertes.
410               My lord, I'll hit him now.
411         Claudius.
412               I do not think't.
413         Laertes.
414               [aside]And yet it is almost against my conscience.
415         Hamlet.
416               Come for the third, Laertes! You but dally.
417               Pray you pass with your best violence;
418               I am afeard you make a wanton of me.
419         Laertes.
420               Say you so? Come on. Play.
421         Osric.
422               Nothing neither way.
423         Laertes.
424               Have at you now!

425         [Laertes wounds Hamlet; then] in scuffling, they change rapiers, [and Hamlet wounds Laertes].

426         Claudius.
427               Part them! They are incens'd.
428         Hamlet.
429               Nay come! again! The Queen falls.
430         Osric.
431               Look to the Queen there, ho!
432         Horatio.
433               They bleed on both sides. How is it, my lord?
434         Osric.
435               How is't, Laertes?
436         Laertes.
437               Why, as a woodcock to mine own springe, Osric.I am justly kill'd with mine own treachery.
438         Hamlet.
439               How does the Queen?
440         Claudius.
441               She sounds to see them bleed.
442         Gertrude.
443               No, no! the drink, the drink! O my dear Hamlet!
444               The drink, the drink! I am poison'd.[Dies.]
445         Hamlet.
446               O villany! Ho! let the door be lock'd.
447               Treachery! Seek it out.

448         [Laertes falls.]

449         Laertes.
450               It is here, Hamlet. Hamlet, thou art slain;
451               No medicine in the world can do thee good.
452               In thee there is not half an hour of life.
453               The treacherous instrument is in thy hand,
454               Unbated and envenom'd. The foul practice
455               Hath turn'd itself on me. Lo, here I lie,
456               Never to rise again. Thy mother's poison'd.
457               I can no more. The King, the King's to blame.
458         Hamlet.
459               The point envenom'd too?
460               Then, venom, to thy work. Hurts the King.
461         All.
462               Treason! treason!
463         Claudius.
464               O, yet defend me, friends! I am but hurt.
465         Hamlet.
466               Here, thou incestuous, murd'rous, damned Dane,
467               Drink off this potion! Is thy union here?
468               Follow my mother. King dies.
469         Laertes.
470               He is justly serv'd.
471               It is a poison temper'd by himself.
472               Exchange forgiveness with me, noble Hamlet.
473               Mine and my father's death come not upon thee,
474               Nor thine on me! Dies.
475         Hamlet.
476               Heaven make thee free of it! I follow thee.
477               I am dead, Horatio.
478               Wretched queen, adieu!
479               You that look pale and tremble at this chance,
480               That are but mutes or audience to this act,
481               Had I but time(as this fell sergeant, Death,
482               Is strict in his arrest)O, I could tell you-
483               But let it be. Horatio, I am dead;
484               Thou liv'st; report me and my cause aright
485               To the unsatisfied.
486         Horatio.
487               Never believe it.
488               I am more an antique Roman than a Dane.
489               Here's yet some liquor left.
490         Hamlet.
491               As th'art a man,
492               Give me the cup. Let go! By heaven, I'll ha't.
493               O good Horatio, what a wounded name
494               (Things standing thus unknown)shall live behind me!
495               If thou didst ever hold me in thy heart,
496               Absent thee from felicity awhile,
497               And in this harsh world draw thy breath in pain,
498               To tell my story.[March afar off, and shot within.]
499               What warlike noise is this?
500         Osric.
501               Young Fortinbras, with conquest come from Poland,
502               To the ambassadors of England gives
503               This warlike volley.
504         Hamlet.
505               O, I die, Horatio!
506               The potent poison quite o'ercrows my spirit.
507               I cannot live to hear the news from England,
508               But I do prophesy th' election lights
509               On Fortinbras. He has my dying voice.
510               So tell him, with th' occurrents, more and less,
511               Which have solicited- the rest is silence. Dies.
512         Horatio.
513               Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince,
514               And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!
515               [March within.]
516               Why does the drum come hither?
517               Enter Fortinbras and English Ambassadors, with Drum, Colours, and Attendants.
518         Fortinbras.
519               Where is this sight?
520         Horatio.
521               What is it you will see?
522               If aught of woe or wonder, cease your search.
523         Fortinbras.
524               This quarry cries on havoc. O proud Death,
525               What feast is toward in thine eternal cell
526               That thou so many princes at a shot
527               So bloodily hast struck.
528         Ambassador.
529               The sight is dismal;
530               And our affairs from England come too late.
531               The ears are senseless that should give us hearing
532               To tell him his commandment is fulfill'd
533               That Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead.
534               Where should we have our thanks?
535         Horatio.
536               Not from his mouth,
537               Had it th' ability of life to thank you.
538               He never gave commandment for their death.
539               But since, so jump upon this bloody question,
540               You from the Polack wars, and you from England,
541               Are here arriv'd, give order that these bodies
542               High on a stage be placed to the view;
543               And let me speak to the yet unknowing world
544               How these things came about. So shall you hear
545               Of carnal, bloody and unnatural acts;
546               Of accidental judgments, casual slaughters;
547               Of deaths put on by cunning and forc'd cause;
548               And, in this upshot, purposes mistook
549               Fall'n on th' inventors' heads. All this can I
550               Truly deliver.
551         Fortinbras.
552               Let us haste to hear it,
553               And call the noblest to the audience.
554               For me, with sorrow I embrace my fortune.
555               I have some rights of memory in this kingdom
556               Which now, to claim my vantage doth invite me.
557         Horatio.
558               Of that I shall have also cause to speak,
559               And from his mouth whose voice will draw on more.
560               But let this same be presently perform'd,
561               Even while men's minds are wild, lest more mischance
562               On plots and errors happen.
563         Fortinbras.
564               Let four captains
565               Bear Hamlet like a soldier to the stage;
566               For he was likely, had he been put on,
567               To have prov'd most royally; and for his passage
568               The soldiers' music and the rites of war
569               Speak loudly for him.
570               Take up the bodies. Such a sight as this
571               Becomes the field but here shows much amiss.
572               Go, bid the soldiers shoot.

573         Exeunt marching; after the which a peal of ordnance are shot off.

출처出處source ■ http://davincimap.co.kr/davBase/Source/davSource.jsp?Job=Body&SourID=SOUR001584&Lang=%EC%98%81%EB%AC%B8&Page=5&View=Text#2.%20Act%20V,%20Scene%202


댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

List of Korean surnames

Why do Animals Need Salt in Their Diet?